- For the rice:
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 medium red onions, finely chopped
- 5 cloves fresh garlic, crushed
- 1 green chili pepper
- 4 whole cardamom pods
- 3 bay leaves
- 10 whole black peppercorns
- ½ teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 2-3 whole cloves
- ½ teaspoon coriander seed powder
- ½ teaspoon dried lime powder
- 2 chicken with skin, cut into 4 pcs each
- 2 cubes MAGGI® Chicken Bouillon
- 6 cups water
- 2½ cups basmati rice
- For the chicken glaze:
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 tablespoon yogurt
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- ½ teaspoon black pepper powder
- For the smoke flavour:
- 2 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 piece charcoal, heated until red
How to Prepare
- Preparing rice:
- Heat oil in a large nonstick pot. Add onion and sauté until soft. Add garlic and chili and cook for an additional minute.
- Add cardamom, bay leaves, black peppercorns, cumin, cloves, coriander powder, and dried lime powder and chicken and cook for 4-5 mins.
- Add 2 cubes MAGGI® Chicken Bouillon and water, simmer over medium heat until chicken is fully cooked and tender.
- Gently remove chicken and place on an oven tray with skin-side up. Add rice to the stock, cook over medium-low heat until rice is fully cooked and tender.
- Meanwhile, prepare glaze for chicken by mixing tomato paste, yogurt, turmeric and black pepper in a small bowl and brush over the cooked chicken skin. Grill the glazed chicken in a preheated oven at 180°C oven until skin is roasted.
- To add smoke flavour to the rice:
- Once the rice is fully cooked, remove cover and place a small ceramic bowl in the center. Pour vegetable oil in the bowl and place hot/red charcoal over the oil and quickly cover the rice to prevent the smoke from escaping the pot. Leave cover on for 2-3 mins until rice is infused with smoke.
- To assemble the dish, gently fluff the rice and pour into a large serving plate. Arrange roasted chicken pieces over the top and serve.
- Pickles and hot sauce are a great accompaniment to Chicken Mandi.