- ½ chicken
- 1 onion, chopped
- ½ teaspoon ginger
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 whole cinnamon stick
- Pinch of saffron
- 1 cup chopped cilantro-parsley
- 6 eggs
- 500 g almonds, blanched, peeled and lightly fried
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 tablespoon cinnamon
- 3 tablespoon orange blossom water
- 2 large sheets phyllo pastry dough
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 1 cube MAGGI® Chicken Bouillon
- For Garnish: Icing sugar and powdered cinnamon
How to Prepare
- In a deep pan, heat the oil and add the chopped onion, spices and 2 cups of water. When boiling, add the whole chicken and MAGGI® Chicken Bouillon, and keep cooking for 45 mins. When it is done, remove the bones from the chicken and slice into small pieces. Reduce the sauce on heat until become thick. TIP: Using a spoon try to transfer the fats on the top of the sauce and keep in a bowl aside.
- Add the eggs in the sauce and scramble well. Add the chicken parts finally to the scrambled egg.
- Blend the almonds with sugar and cinnamon. Then add the orange blossom water to flavor it.
- It's important to keep the dough you are going to work with wrapped in a slightly damp kitchen towel, as the dough dries out very quickly and becomes fragile and crumbles.
- Now, separate two large sheets of dough and fold each sheet in half. Then in half again and wrap them in a damp towel. Now you're ready to assemble the dish. Brush an oven-proof skillet with melted butter.
- Unfold a phyllo pastry a little more than halfway across the skillet, followed by another layer of dough over the other half, overlapping the two pieces in the middle. Spread about 1/3 cup of the almond mixture over the bottom of the dough, followed by a phyllo sheet followed by the chicken egg mixture, followed by another phyllo sheet, followed by another layer of almonds.
- Carefully fold over the phyllo dough on all sides, then brush the top of the pastry with melted butter mixed with the oily mixture that is kept in the boil from the chicken sauce. That will add a nice golden color to the pastille. Bake the pastille in a 350°F oven for about 12-15 mins or until lightly browned.
- Carefully turn skillet upside-down on the plate to remove pastille. Sift a heavy layer of icing sugar over the pastille. Pinching cinnamon between your fingers, draw a criss-cross pattern of cinnamon over the layer of confectioner's sugar. Take a paper towel and wipe away excess sugar from the edges of the plate. Serve immediately.