- 2 cubes MAGGI Chicken Stock
- 4 cups (1000ml) hot water
- 7 tbs (70ml) vegetable oil
- 1 medium (125g) onion, finely chopped
- 300g beef cubes
- 3 tbs (30g) tomato paste
- 3 medium (400g) tomatoes, diced
- 2 tsp (10g) caraway seeds
- 1 bay leaf
- 1stick (5g) cinnamon
- 1 tsp (5g) ground black pepper
- 2 medium (500g) potatoes, cut into 1cm cubes
- 1000g chicken with skin, cut each into 8 pieces
- 16-18 (250g) shallots or very small onions, peeled
- 2 cups (500ml) water
- 2 cups (300g) dried moghrabieh
How to Prepare
- Dissolve MAGGI Chicken Stock in 1000ml hot water and set aside.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a pot. SautÃ© potato cubes until golden brown, remove and set aside to drain excess oil.
- Using the same pot, add onions, beef cubes and cook for 7 minutes until lightly golden brown.
- Add tomato paste and sautÃ© for an additional 2 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, Chicken Stock, caraway, bay leaf, cinnamon stick and black pepper. Cover and cook on low heat for 1Â½ hours or until the meat is cooked. Remove the meat and reserve the stock.
- Meanwhile, place the chicken pieces in an oven tray and roast them for 45 minutes until golden brown.
- In a casserole, heat 2 tablespoons of oil, add shallots and cook for 5 minutes. Add the remaining water and cook for 10 minutes until onions are tender. Remove the onions and reserve the stock.
- Mix the stock from the meat and from the onions together, adjust the taste with salt and pepper if necessary.
- In a large pot, heat the remaining 3 tablespoons of vegetable oil. Add the dried moughrabieh and fry on low heat with constant stirring until grains turn to golden brown.1
- Gently pour a cup of stock, stir from time to time until it is completely absorbed. Repeat the step until the moughrabieh is tender, but not too soft. 1
- Mix in some of the onions and meat to the mougrabieh grains and remove from heat.1
- Pour the remaining stock in a casserole, bring to boil. Add half of the fried potatoes, onions, and the cooked meat, and remove from the heat.